Friday, October 27, 2006

Stitch ATCs

In my last post about the mermaid spread, I worried about whether the recipient (June) would like it. Well, I got a very enthusiastic e-mail and she does like it. Phew!



Here is one of three ATCs that were for a stitch theme. As well as machine stitching around the edges, I also stitched some wire on the top left hand corners with some beads for embellishment. I spent quite a bit of time on these ATCs and they were great fun to do, seeming to come together all by themselves.

11 Comments:

Blogger Alis Clair said...

Absloultly gorgeous Kari. Hope I get one of these.
Hugs, Alis

October 27, 2006 2:00 pm  
Blogger Kathy L said...

Beautiful comes to mind.... Where did you get that pic? Do you mind sharing some of your process...Is that image on fabric? Lots of questions.

k

October 27, 2006 2:27 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Fantastic, wonderful colours, very rich & sumptuous... mmm.

October 27, 2006 4:20 pm  
Blogger artfulzebra said...

I have them in my hands now (I'm hosting the swap) and they are TOTALLY fabulous, even better in the flesh! :o) Excellent work as ever, Kari.

Maz x

October 27, 2006 4:49 pm  
Blogger Suzie Q said...

No surprises there, then! ;) The mermaid spread was beautiful, as are these ATCs! Scrumptious!
Hope you're nice & cosy, out of the rain...

Hugs,
Q xXx

October 27, 2006 6:24 pm  
Blogger Kari said...

Thanks guys, the image was from an antique book, one of those pictorial books for children, these were amongst the cartoons etc.

It was organza fabric sewed onto card and image glued on. Then I thought it was rather unexciting colourwise, so I painted it all over with sienna acrylic wash and wound some chenille and wire, attached some brads/buttons and sewed some wire with beads around the edge.


I think they have been in progress for about two weeks, LOL!

Hugs,
kari x

October 27, 2006 11:20 pm  
Blogger CraftyPerson said...

All your work is gorgeous but I can't quite get to grips with the idea of altered books yet. It feels a bit too much like wanton destruction to me even though the end result is beautiful and breathtaking in many cases. DOES the end justify the means?zej

November 04, 2006 10:33 am  
Blogger Kari said...

When you think about how many books are destroyed every year by publishers in London alone (it is something like 10 tons) then the fear of destroying a book no longer seems quite so bad. I use books that are due for landfill - I know a local antique book dealer and he buys boxes and boxes of books, takes out one or two that he can sell on and junks the rest. So, in that case, I am happy to find a lovely book that would have been lost and return it to something that many people can enjoy again.

It is great fun and if you want to know more, feel free to email me.

hugs,
Kari x

November 04, 2006 12:20 pm  
Blogger Suzie Q said...

Books? Landfill? Publishers? Destroy? OMG! I was brought up to believe that I should not so much put my name in pencil in a book, and consequently have terrible trouble with the prospect of tearing, painting, sticking, glueing, and all other acts of alteration to the printed page! I can't find your email address, Kari. Would love to know more about finding books that are due to become landfill >:0 (wish you could see the look of pure horror on my face).

Cheers,
Sue x

November 04, 2006 3:36 pm  
Blogger Kari said...

I know, we live in such a wasteful society these days. A lot of the pulped books come direct from publishers, being books that haven't sold.

Not sure where you can find a supplier, but check out library sales and charity shops. Books that have been slightly damaged get thrown out rather than sold. Also, if you have an antiquarian bookseller in your town, ask him/her for the chance to go through their boxes before they get junked. General auctions too are a source of cheap books.

Also, put the word out among friends and family, soon you will find all sorts of things on your doorstep when you come home,LOL!

HTH, kari x
artygaluk@tesco.net

November 04, 2006 8:48 pm  
Blogger emhowl said...

My ATC is utterly gorgeous, Kari. I love it and want it permanently on display.

November 09, 2006 6:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home