Sunday, October 22, 2006

Mermaid AB Spread


Another completed project - this is a spread for an altered book on the theme of mermaids. I used a found photograph of this lady, added a tail, printed her on a lovely antique map, added the transparency with the "Not Waving but Drowning" poem by Stevie Smith, added the phial (which I made from a cut down test tube) with tiny shells and tendrilly fibre which looks like tiny seaweed. I made a tag, added the copper dog tag (from Maz's lovely metal stash), having stamped the word WAVE on it.

Well, I love the traditional Scottish folk stories of strange sea creatures and thoroughly enjoyed this spread.

Hope the recipient likes it!

Kari x

13 Comments:

Blogger Artygal/Lalheg said...

the recipient would be a fool not to!

October 22, 2006 5:57 pm  
Blogger Becky Mairi Farrell said...

Kari this is gorgeous. I love how you have made the transition between the woman and the tail so seamless, surely she was always a mermaid! The recipient will love it.

October 22, 2006 6:19 pm  
Blogger Suzie Q said...

This is wonderful, Kari! I would be extremely glad to be the lucky recipient! :) The details like the phial of shells, the metal tag & the corners are inspired. I love it!

October 22, 2006 9:02 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

She's lovely. I've been in search of a subject for my fairytale theme in November - I was considering the Kelpie but now you've inspired me to consider a Ceasg.

October 23, 2006 8:20 am  
Blogger Fiona said...

Love it, love it...

October 23, 2006 8:32 am  
Blogger Alis Clair said...

I love mermaids and this one is just beautiful Kari.
Hugs, Alis

October 23, 2006 2:23 pm  
Blogger Kathy L said...

Your recipient would be nuts NOT to like this spread! Wonderful and Inventive come to mind for me! Thanks for sharing these projects..there is always so much inspiration here!

k

October 23, 2006 2:34 pm  
Blogger Kari said...

Wow, such a lovely bunch of enthusiastic comments, here. I am glad it has your seal (very slight and rather tenuous pun there) of approval.

hugs,
Kari x

October 23, 2006 4:34 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Beautiful spread. Very thoughtfully worked out & done. Love it.

October 24, 2006 10:10 am  
Blogger Terri said...

Lovely Kari! You put so much thought into these. :o)

October 25, 2006 12:33 am  
Blogger artfulzebra said...

This is beautiful, Kari, brought a lump to my throat! I love everything about it, such a thoughtful piece of work, great stuff! How did you cut the testube down? Was it easy to do?

Maz x

October 25, 2006 11:20 am  
Blogger Kari said...

Cool, thanks for more positive comments, they are very encouraging!

Maz, I cut the test tube with the cutting disc on a dremmel type tool.

Hugs,
Kari x

October 25, 2006 12:14 pm  
Blogger Jill said...

ooooh the silkies....this is gorgeous Kari and so thought through, wonderful work..who wouldn't love to receive this :D

October 27, 2006 6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home